Whats The Best Way To Dose CBD?

Finding the best dose involves using numero uno as a guinea pig, or an n=1 experiment if you like. This takes you through how you can accurately measure different doses, and how you can track your way to finding your ideal therapeutic window.

How To Take CBD

One of the most popular ways to ingest CBD is by using a tincture preparation/oil. These typically come with a glass pipette which administers CBD with a carrier oil in small droplets.

Alternatively, you can get caps which are already pre-dosed so taking fixed doses consistently is easier. Caps tend to come in ranges from 10-250mg, so experimenting with doses is slightly less flexible. It might be easier to play around with tinctures at first as you can increase and decrease the dose with more flexibility, but with a little less precision.

However, if you are using a spray then those doses may be more accurate to clock, so you can have a play around with an accessible form.

You may have noticed that CBD can be referred to as a percentage as well as in milligrams (mg). Confusing, right?

Whilst knowing the percentage is handy to assess the general potency you are getting, measuring doses in mg is more practical. This way you can also go by doses used in research as well, as CBD is mostly referred to in mg.

To most accurately dose CBD, knowing how much CBD in mg/drop can help you find your sweet spot with plenty of room for exploration.

Working Out MG/Drop From % CBD & Millilitres

When a product refers to CBD in percentages, it highlights the concentration of CBD present as a percentage of the entire bottle.

Lets say you had an oil which was 5% CBD and was 10 ml in volume. That leaves 95% of the 10ml which will contain the carrier oil (usually coconut), a few other cannabinoids (not THC) and some other phytochemicals from Hemp or Cannabis.

Straight CBD = 5% of 10 ml = 0.5 ml

Now convert ml to mg using a conversion tool:

0.5 ml = 500mg per bottle

Within a 10ml bottle, you’re looking at ~ 200 drops.

So 500 mg/200 drops, should provide ~ 2.5 mg/drop

Working Out MG/Drop From Total Milligrams & Millilitres

To make life a little easier, some oils tell you how much total CBD is contained in mg for a whole bottle.

This makes it easier to establish how many mg are contained within 1 drop of oil. Mg allows you to gauge your intake, and find a snug therapeutic window.

A typical dropper will contain 1ml of oil. So if you have 10 ml which contains 500 mg total CBD, then 1 ml = 50 mg.

So Total CBD in mg / Total ml = CBD for 1 ml

The dropper (1 ml) may give you somewhere between 20 and 25 drops:

50 mg/25 drops = 2 mg

50 mg/20 drops = 2.5 mg

What works for you is going to be completely subjective, so start low and increase incrementally to find your therapeutic window.

Tracking Your Way To Success

Once you have established how many mg CBD exist per drop, you can start to track how you respond to different doses, and establish whether its best to:

  • Dose in response to symptoms
  • Dose periodically throughout the day
  • Dose with food
  • Dose Morning or Night

There’s no one right way to use CBD as it works very subjectively. After a little experimentation, you can find how much, when and with what CBD works best for you.

Sign up for Gaia Guru Promo's, the latest CBD research, news, tips and more

No spam. Just high quality CBD info.

 

*first 100 sign-ups get free CBD goodies

 

Pin It on Pinterest

Free shipping on orders over £50